The temporal power of the pope in its political aspect (1866)

fullscreen
Author: Manning, Henry Edward, 1808-1892
Subject: Church and state -- Italy; Popes -- Temporal power; Roman question
Publisher: London : Longmans, Green : Burns, Lambert, and Oates
Call number: a5917527
Digitizing sponsor: National Institute for Newman Studies
Book contributor: Saint Mary's College of California
Collection: saint_marys_college; toronto

With: The principle of the ecclesiastical commission examined

Includes bibliographical references

Average Rating: 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: Geremia - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - June 20, 2012
Subject: Pure Gold :)
This is the second sermon of Card. Manning I have ever read, and it is pure gold. :)

I especially liked this part, toward the end:

"All I can do is to touch the mere outline of what would follow upon the dissolution, if that could be, of the Temporal Power of the Pontiffs. But first let me once for all, or rather once more for the thousandth time, sweep away the absurdity imputed to us, day by day, that we make the Temporal Power a part of Christianity, and that if it were overthrown, Christianity would fall with it. This surpasses even the extravagance of controversy. We do believe, indeed, that the dissolution of the twofold authority of the Pontiff would strike out the key stone of Christendom; that is, of the twofold order of Christianity and civilization which for a thousand years has sustained the commonwealth of Europe. We believe that then Christianity would stand alone, on its own divine and imperishable basis; and that civilization without Christianity would return to the natural order, and to the spiritual death out of which Christianity raised it to life.

"[…] We affirm also that this retrogression and divorce of the spiritual and civil societies of the world would desecrate the civil powers of the world. They would cease to recognise, as they have already to a great extent, the Christian law, the unity of faith, worship, communion, or authority, as principles of their public order. […]

"[…] The two powers, spiritual and temporal, are providentially united in Rome that they may be separated everywhere else in the kingdoms of the world. […]"

I need to read more about what Card. Manning wrote about the Papacy. :) He was on the "De Fide" committee, which passed the decree on Papal infallibility at Vatican I, so he certainly is an expert on the Papacy.

Selected metadata

Copyright-evidence-operator: scanner-liz-ridolfo
Copyright-region: US
Copyright-evidence: Evidence reported by scanner-liz-ridolfo for item a591752700mannuoft on November 29, 2006: no visible notice of copyright; stated date is 1866.
Copyright-evidence-date: 20061129152616
Scanningcenter: uoft
Mediatype: texts
Identifier-access: http://www.archive.org/details/a591752700mannuoft